Margaret, a Resident from Chaseview Care Home in Burntwood, Staffordshire, has won HC-One’s ‘Wednesday Wisdom’ initiative for sharing her wise words, The ‘Wednesday Wisdom’ initiative encourages Residents to share their insight, secrets, inspiration and wise words of wisdom across a variety of topics.
Margaret shared her advice on November’s theme of ‘marriage’ in which she stated, “make sure you outlive the other!” She was selected as the winner for her humorous answer which received a lot of laughs and online engagement. Margaret had a choice of prizes and selected a colouring book and watercolour pencils. Margaret is looking forward to getting creative and showing off her artistic talents by colouring in the variety of illustrations.
Each month a specific theme is promoted for ‘Wednesday Wisdom’ and so far, Residents have thoroughly enjoyed sharing their knowledge on various subjects including friendship, marriage, Christmas, money, romance and Valentine’s Day, as well as the secret to long life. Each week, the best pieces of wisdom have been shared across HC-One’s social media channels, along with a photo or video of the Resident who the wisdom originates from.
There is also an element of competition, with an opportunity for Residents to win a prize every six months. Each month, the best entry is chosen, and then an overall winner is chosen from the best entries from the previous six months.
The other five shortlisted Residents and their wise words were:
- October’s theme: FriendshipResident Alice Emamalie from Aston House Care Home, Hayes in Middlesex, who said, “The best friends you can have are those you can trust, trust is an important part of friendship! A friend that stands by you through the tough times. There’s friends of silver and friends of gold but the best friends of all are those of old.”
- December’s theme: ChristmasResident Christopher Park from Swallownest Care Home, Sheffield in South Yorkshire, who commented, “Make the most of every Christmas as these memories stay with you forever.”
- January’s theme: MoneyResident Mary MacIntyre from Kintyre Care Home, Campbeltown in Argyll and Bute, who remarked, “Always save for a rainy day and never spend more than you need to!”
- February’s theme: Romance and Valentine’s DayResident Violet from Ailsa Craig Care Home, Cessnock in Glasgow, who responded with, “Work at things together and communicate!”
- March’s theme: The secret to long lifeResident Rita from St Christopher’s Care Home, Hatfield in Hertfordshire, who mentioned, “The secret to a long life is friends, if you fall they pick you up and that’s what matters!”
HC-One plans to continue the ‘Wednesday Wisdom’ initiative, with the next six months themes including pets, education and careers, food and drink, exercise and keeping healthy, neighbours and your local community, as well as confidence and loving yourself. The best pieces of advice will be posted every Wednesday throughout the month across HC-One’s social media channels. HC-One looks forward to choosing and announcing another winner in six months’ time.