*HSCIC must be credited as the source of the figures in this release
*Regional information available
A total of 1.3 million adults received social services in England in 2012-13, a reduction of nine per cent on 2011-12 and 25 per cent on 2007-8.
Among these 1.3 million people, 1.1 million received community-based services (a fall of 10 per cent on 2011-12), 209,000 received residential care (down two per cent on 2011-12) and 87,000 received nursing care (less than a one per cent change on 2011-12)2.
The figures are included in Community Care Statistics, Social Services Activity, England – 2012-13, published by the Health and Social Care Information Centre today The report also shows:
- The number of new enquiries3 made to council social service departments in 2012-13 was 2.1m (down less than one per cent from 2011-12 and up one per cent from 2007-08).
- Following enquiries, there were 603,000 assessments for new clients4 in 2012-13 (down less than one per cent from 2011-12 and down nine per cent from 2007-08). Two thirds (67 per cent or 404,000) of assessments resulted in a client receiving services (a decrease of less than one percentage point from 2011-12).
- The number of social service users receiving self-directed support5 was 611,000 (an increase of 16 per cent on 2011-12). Of these 143,000 received a direct payment – up eight per cent on 2011-12.
- Additionally, the number of carers receiving self-directed support was 103,000 (an increase of 32 per cent from 2011-12). Of these, 71,000 received a direct payment, up 17 per cent from 2011-12.
This is one of three social care reports published today by the Health and Social Care Information Centre. Also published today are:
- Personal Social Services Adult Social Care Survey, England, 2012-13. This reports on the results of a survey of social service users aged 18 and over to assess how effectively services are helping them to live safely and independently in their own homes, and the impact of services on their quality of life. It can be found here: http://www.hscic.gov.uk/pubs/adusoccaresurv1213fin
- Measures from the Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework, England, 2012-13. This report looks at the performance of local council social services against criteria set nationally by the Department of Health in its Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)5. It can be found here: http://www.hscic.gov.uk/pubs/adusoccareof1213fin
· Also updated today is the ASCOF website, which allows users to see and explore data on their own local council social services and compare their council’s performance with that of with similar councils and national averages. It has been updated today with final data from the Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework, England, 2012-13. The website is here: http://ascof.hscic.gov.uk/