A Guide To Care Home Insurance

Care Home Insurance falls into the specialist sector because there is no ‘one size fits all.’ Not only does your insurance need to protect care you give, but you also need to consider the regulatory bodies you adhere to, protection for your staff, as well as covering the premises and it’s contents.

What’s more, care homes offer different types of care, from basic care and accommodation to respite, end-of-life and specialist care for dementia patients.

Whatever type of care facility you operate, there are some basic covers that should form part of your care home insurance solution.


Liability insurance should be considered essential for your policy. Liability encompasses various types of cover. Employers’ liability is a legal requirement for anyone employing staff either paid or unpaid. If, for instance, one of your carers suffers an injury or loss due to your negligence or the negligence of the company, the carer may sue you. This covers you for any compensation costs for legal fees.

Public liability although not a legal requirement is similar to employers’ liability, relates to injuries or losses to members of the public. For instance, a residents’ family member may slip on an unturned carpet, or their car may be damaged by something you should have considered.

Unlike clinical treatment, care in a nursing home or care home is often too do with judgment as opposed to factual and evidential action. Your carer will be skilled in what they do and usually have several qualifications, but their decisions are often determined by best practice to ensure the resident or patient is as comfortable as they can be.

Unfortunately, this means mistakes can creep in. A simple mistake can have a disastrous effect, and the patient or their family may claim for medical malpractice. This cover aims to protect your team’s professional acumen, offering in-depth support and dealing with the legal costs.


Of course, your business is home for your residents or patients. Ensuring ample furniture is provided should be a necessity, from wardrobes and cupboards to tables and kitchen apparatus. If these are accidentally damaged, you are likely to need to replace them.

The building itself is just as important. If, for instance, the premises suffer a flood, how would the building hold? Would water cause damage to furniture? Would residents need to be temporarily rehomed? In extreme costs such as a fire or exposition, a total rebuild may be necessary, which would not only cost a considerable amount, but it could leave the business unable to operate and your residents if need of rehoming.

Business Interruption insurance may also provide invaluable. This insurance is aimed at covering any increased costs of working or loss in gross revenue, as the result of an unexpected event. So, if you do suffer a flood or fire, Sourcing an alternative property to operate from or employing temporary staff can be covered. Business Interruption insurance can help you to pay your bills, retain your staff, and maintain you supplier and client relationships.

Key Man Cover (or Key Person Cover) provides financial cover, should something happen to a key personnel within your business. Most likely this is you as the business owner, or members of an executive leadership team who you class as crucial to the financial success of your business. If you or a key member of your team is absent due to the onset of a long-term illness or a permanent disability, or unexpectedly passes away, this form of life insurance could be vital to ensure the longevity of your business. Having key man cover in place reassures your team and those living within your care facility. By preparing for a worst-case scenario, you will be protecting your care home from potential risk and safeguarding its future – Key Man Cover is an invaluable and affordable investment for every care homeowner to consider.

Ever care home is different, requiring different types and levels of cover based on individual needs. You need to partner with a reputable broker that will make sure that you have the right cover for your unique situation.

For an industry which works on prestige, reputation and word of mouth, the right insurance is essential. It maintains your biggest assets – your staff and the residents your care for – whilst supporting you should something go wrong.

At Barnes Commercial we offer specialist independent broking and risk management services for care homeowners and care workers.

You can learn more about how we support our clients with expert broking advice on our website: wwwbarneinsurancebroker.co.uk
Telephone 01480 272727
Email: enquiries@barnesinsurancebroker.co.uk